Thursday 3rd Novemeber, 1:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m.
Friday 4th Novemeber, 7:45 a.m. - 6 p.m.
UBC Robson Square
Creative BC provides on-going support and funding to the Magazine Association of BC (MagsBC), in helping to realize their mandate of uniting the talent, knowledge and skills of the BC magazine industries publishers, editors, writers, graphic artists, salespeople and other industry professionals. Events like the MagsWest conference play a significant role in fostering relationships and ensuring the ongoing development of talent and growth in the magazine industry.
The MagsWest conference sees notable industry professionals cover topics ranging from equity and inclusion in the magazine industry, to marketing and branding tips, improving workplace communication and HR strategies and how to ensure your magazine has a formidable online presence. This year's conference features:
- 7 professional development sessions and workshops
- 2 Mac hands-on labs
- 2 free Q & A and feedback sessions with funders
- 2 networking breakfasts and a social event
Noted presenters and intensives
Leonicka Valcius – A Toronto-based publishing professional, advocate of equity and including in Canadian publishing and literature and the founder of DiverseCanLit, a growing online resource for readers and writers from marginalized groups. Leonicka is MagsWest keynote speaker and will be discussing ‘On Equity and Inclusion’.
Sharon McAuley – An in demand publishing, marketing and brand consultant Sharon has managed brand development and marketing initiatives for the likes of Canadian Living, Elle Canada, Style at Home and More. She will be hosting the workshop ‘What Makes You Unique? Describing Your Magazine in Ways That Attract Readers and Define Your Brand’.
If you’re looking to refresh or develop your design skills, the intensive all-day Mac labs may be of interest:
- Mac Lab 1: Lightroom – Advanced Techniques and Tools is with Nick Westover, a seasoned photographer with editorial work featured in current affairs publications such as Le Monde and Report on Business. Nick will cover processing and outputting images for web use and understanding the different requirements for web vs print.
- Mac Lab 2: Magazine Layout & Design with InDesign is taught by Negin Khoshkhesal-Etemadi, a former chief graphic designer at Rogers Video head office and the curator of design certificate courses at several institutions including UBC and BCIT. Neign will cover the latest trends and tips in InDesign.
Who should attend?
Whether you are a graphic designer, writer, editor or publisher this conference is a fantastic opportunity to gain valuable industry knowledge and aid in your professional development.
- Anyone with an interest in the magazine industry is invited to register and attend any of the events.
- MagsBC members and members of affiliated organizations are invited to register at the member rate.
- Students at accredited post-secondary institutions interested in the magazine industry may also register at the member rate.
- Any associate members may register for free by contacting the executive director, .
This project is made possible in part by Creative BC.