This year, 184 Canadian magazines from coast to coast—English and French, print and digital—entered the best of their editorial and design to the National Magazine Awards, submitting the work of more than 3000 writers, editors, photographers, illustrators, art directors and other creators.
BC MAGAZINE NOMINEES
Congratulations to the BC magazines that received nominations for 2016 National Magazine Awards: Western Living, Vancouver Magazine, subTerrain, explore, Geist, PRISM International, BC Business, The Malahat Review, ROOM, Event and first time nominees, SAD Mag and Reel West.
These outstanding publications demonstrate the broad depth of talent that exists in our magazine industry and the wide range of content that they publish.
BEST SINGLE ISSUE
- Western Living, Designers of the Year 2015 - Anicka Quin, Editor; Paul Roelofs, Art Director
- Explore, Winter 2015 - David Webb, Editor; Arran Yates, Art Director
Written Awards, Essays
- Malahat Review, "White Matter" - Susan Olding
Written Awards, Fiction
- Event, "Dar a Luz" - Trevor Corkum
- Room, "The River Phoenix Social Club" - Monica Pacheco
- Geist, "My Father's Picasso" - Cary Fagan
- Sub-Terrain, "The Beguiling" - Zsuzsi Gartner
Written Awards, Personal Journalism
- Event, "The Back Roads," - Gena Ellet
- PRISM International, "Doughnut Eaters" - Diane Bracuk
Written Awards, Poetry
- PRISM International, "Why Don't I" - Vincent Pagé
- Sub-Terrain, "The Second Person" - Shazia Hafiz Ramji
Written Awards, Science, Technology & the Environment
- BC Business, "Watching the Detectives" - Anne Casselman
ART DIRECTION OF An entire ISSUE
- Western Living, Designers of the Year 2015 - Paul Roelofs, Naomi MacDougall, Jenny Reed
ART DIRECTION FOR A SINGLE MAGAZINE ARTICLE
- SAD Mag, "Name Redacted" - Pamela Rounis, Art Director; Portia Boehm, Illustrator; Dina Del Bucchia, Writer
VISUAL AWARDS, HOMES & GARDENS
- Western Living, "The Comeback" - Martin Tessler, Photographer; Paul Roelofs, Art Director; Nicole Sjöstedt, Stylist
VISUAL AWARDS, PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY
- Reel West Magazine, "The Many Faces of Michael Eklund" - Phillip Chin
- Vancouver Magazine, "Order Up!" - Carlo Ricci
Profiles of BC magazines nominated for National magazine Awards
BCBusiness focuses exclusively on business in BC, providing behind-the-scenes coverage, chronicling major deals and putting faces to the major players.
Vancouver Magazine covers local influencers and game-changers in greater Vancouver, and includes neighbourhoods guides, current events, and reviews of shopping and dining establishments.Western Living Magazine
Western Living invites readers to stretch their imaginations about living in the West, sharing intrigues, surprises and thrills about people, places, homes, gardens, food and adventure from Winnipeg to Victoria.
explore is Canada's outdoor adventure magazine that delivers the information and inspiration that active outdoor-loving Canadians want.
Geist is the Canadian magazine of ideas and culture—a sumptuous mix of fact + fiction, photography and comix, poetry, essays and reviews, and the weird and wonderful from the world of words.
Reel West Magazine
Reel West magazine highlights the people, places and events that shape the Western Canadian film industry.
SAD Mag is dedicated to covering Vancouver’s independent arts and culture from the perspective of local, emerging writers and artists.
subTerrain produces a stimulating fusion of fiction, poetry, photography and graphic illustration from uprising Canadian, U.S. and International writers and artists.
The Malahat Review
The Malahat Review features contemporary Canadian and international works of poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction as well as reviews of recently published Canadian poetry, fiction, and literary nonfiction.PRISM International
PRISM International is a quarterly magazine whose mandate is to publish the best in contemporary writing and translation from Canada and around the world.
Room is Canada’s oldest literary journal by and about women. Published quarterly by the West Coast Feminist Literary Magazine Society, Room showcases fiction, poetry, reviews, art work, interviews and profiles about the female experience.
EVENT is one of Western Canada's longest-running literary magazines publishing the very best in contemporary new poetry and prose in English from around the world.