The #BCTECH Strategy 2016
Today, at the #BCTECH Summit Government launched the full #BCTECH Strategy, as a key step towards supporting the technology sector in British Columbia to reach its potential, create high-paying skilled jobs, and build a strong and thriving economy.
This announcement reveals the final two pillars of the #BCTECH Strategy: deepening the B.C. talent pool, and making it easier to access markets. It builds on the foundation established with the creation of the $100 million BC Tech Fund, announced on Dec. 8th, which provides access to capital for promising tech companies. Further details about today’s announcement are available on the #BCTECH Strategy website: https://bctechstrategy.gov.bc.ca/
The Strategy includes 50 actions the Province is taking to bolster our burgeoning tech sector, some highlights include:
- Government has committed to ensure 25% of post-secondary’s operating grants are used for programs related to in-demand occupations including more focus on technology jobs;
- B.C. Completion Grants for students completing programs related to the technology sector;
- Hands-on experiences for students by ensuring new technology-related degree programs include co-operative education or work-integrated learning components;
- New K-12 curriculum that will provide every student with the opportunity to learn coding by the end of Grade 9;
- Funding for a foreign qualifications recognition project that will help new immigrants fit their skills into alternative, in-demand careers in B.C.’s technology sector;
- Making it easier to sell to government though continued streamlining of procurement processes, modern procurement tools and collaborative approaches;
- Improved reliability of high-speed internet access for northern and coastal communities;
- Making it easier to find and use services offered by government that equip businesses to expand and sell to new markets.
The technology sector has become a major engine of economic growth in British Columbia – no matter where you live in the province, or what you do, your life is affected by technology.