Would you like that little extra know-how that may help you get your articles published? Then register for the Magazine Association of BC’s pitching intensive!
Their intensive includes a seminar on February 18 on how to pitch, and a Pitchfest March 4, where you can present your new and improved pitches to a variety of magazine editors from Metro Vancouver and Victoria.
February 18, 6:30-8 p.m.: Becoming a Byline: Effectively Pitching Your Ideas to a Magazine
At this seminar, Anicka Quin, editorial director at Canada Wide Media and award-winning freelance writer Tim Querengesser will cover planning, researching and developing your ideas, refining your query, making the pitch and following up to get results. They’ll also share tips for establishing and nurturing your relationship with an editor.
March 4, 6-8 p.m.: Pitchfest: Pitching to an Editor
February 18 seminar attendees will have a great opportunity to practice and present their pitches by signing up for 10-15-minute pitching sessions with one or more of the below:
- BeatRoute (Glenn Alderson, Editor in Chief)
- Douglas / YAM / SPRUCE magazines (Kerry Slavens, Editor in Chief)
- HERE magazine (Fiona Bramble, Founder and Managing Editor)
- MONTECRISTO magazine (Fiona Morrow, Editor)
- Vancouver Magazine / Western Living (Stacey McLachlan, Executive Editor)
- WestCoast Families (Bianca Bujan, Editor)
For more information on the people and magazines listed above, please check out their pitching intensive event listing on their website.