Time: 9:30 AM - 4:30PM with a one hour lunch break
Instructed by Elizabeth Yake of True West Pictures (see bio below), the workshop is designed for those planning to attend festival markets such as the Banff World Media Festival or other international film/tv markets and will provide insight into market preparation and how to make the best of the market experience.
Morning session 9:30AM - 12:30PM
1. Honing the pitch so you can write about it
2. Crafting the log line and the short synopsis
3. Who's your target audience
4. Gather your market intelligence
5. Research buyers, financiers, development support
6. Plan your meetings
7. Market materials
8. What's your project's hook
9. Pitching DO's & DONTS
Lunch break 12:30PM - 1:30PM
Afternoon session 1:30PM - 4:30PM
2. Incorporate market intelligence into your pitch
3. Write your film proposal
Entertainment lawyer and producer Kim Roberts (Chandler/Fogden law firm) will join the afternoon session to discuss how to build a good relationship with an entertainment lawyer and to answer questions you may have in regards to rights, optioning, setting up a business etc.
Publicist Kathryn Perkins will speak about promoting films, working festivals and planning for release and working with a publicist from shooting until release.
Participants are required to come prepared with drafts of the following:
1. Log line
2. Short synopsis (paragraph)
3. Notes as to the key marketable elements of the project