Firearms + Related Controlled Goods

Where firearms are visible or audible to the public, municipalities may require that a police officer be present.  In many cases, only 1/4 loads can be used.

The use of firearms for motion picture activities requires both federal and provincial licences.  The federal business firearms licence specific to the motion picture/theatrical production industry may authorize a business to possess firearms (including prohibited firearms) and other prohibited items such as prohibited devices and prohibited weapons.

For more information or questions about the federal business firearms licence, please contact the Chief Firearm Officer for British Columbia at:

Phone: 1-800-731-4000 extension 9530
Fax : 778-290-6174


The Firearms Act addresses the use of firearms and other prohibited items for the purpose of motion picture/theatrical productions.

The Firearms Licences Regulations includes specific provisions for the motion picture/theatrical production industry in regards to:

  • A Non-residents’ Sixty-day Possession Licence (Borrowed Firearms) – Section 10, 3(g) and 4(g); and, 

Application for a Non-resident Temporary Borrowing Licence for Non-restricted Firearms

  • The prescribed purpose for a business to possess prohibited firearms and other prohibited itemsSection 22, (f) & (g)

The Special Authority to Possess Regulations references the temporary transfer of a replica firearm to a transferee who does not hold a federal firearms business licence for the purpose of motion picture activities (i.e. a licensed supplier temporarily lending a replica firearm to a Prop Master):

  • Temporary Transfers of Replica Firearms – 8(a)


The Controlled Goods Directorate (CGD) is a Federal Government Program administered by the Department of Public Works and Government Services Canada (PWGSC).

The CGD is a domestic industrial security program that helps strengthen Canada’s defense trade controls through registration, prevention, deterrence and detection, and prevents the proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and of conventional weapons. This is done by regulating and controlling the examination, possession, and transfer in Canada of controlled goods and/or controlled technology.

Anyone who deals with controlled goods and/or controlled technology in Canada is required to register with the CGD. The CGD is legislated by the Defence Production Act (DPA) and the Controlled Goods Regulations (CGR).