First Peoples' Cultural Council
The First Peoples' Cultural Council (FPCC) is a First Nations-run Crown Corporation with a mandate to support the revitalization of Indigenous languages, arts, culture and heritage in British Columbia.
In partnership with Creative BC, FPCC developed the Indigenous Music Initiative, with a focus on increasing opportunities for Indigenous music industry professionals to participate in, and further influence, BC’s music industry through knowledge transfer, skill development and the creation of new business opportunities.
Three new grant streams were created:
- Emerging Indigenous Music Industry Professionals Program: supporting Indigenous music industry professionals and artist-entrepreneurs living in B.C. who have a demonstrated commitment to working in the music industry as administrators, agents, promoters, managers, event organizers or presenters.
- Expanding Capacity in the Indigenous Music Recording Industry Program: supporting emerging Indigenous recording engineers/producers and independent Indigenous recording studios who have demonstrated, active commitment to working within the B.C. music industry.
- Touring, Promotions/Marketing and Performance Initiatives: supporting Indigenous artists, ensembles, and collectives undertaking touring, promotions, marketing and performance activities in Canada.
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2019. Funding supports 100% of project activities.
The First Peoples' Cultural Council also launched:
- The Indigenous Music Retreat, providing emerging and established artists with the opportunity to strengthen artistic and business skills through workshops and mentorship. The next retreat will be held in April 2020. Applications will open in January.
- Indigifest, a one-day festival in Victoria, BC, held on August 24, 2019, featuring two live music stages showcasing acclaimed Indigenous performers from B.C. The festival includes workshops sharing traditional and contemporary art forms through interactive music, arts and culture sessions.
If you have any additional questions, please contact:Sarah Pocklington | Acting Arts Program Manager
Phone: +1 250 652 5952 ext 211