Sound Recording Program FAQs

Q: What if my project has already started?

A: Recording activities and costs incurred on or after May 1, 2016, are eligible for this program.

Q: Can international artists or music companies apply for the Sound Recording Program?

A: Yes.  International artists can apply to record in eligible BC studios.

Q: What if I am the applicant (an artist or music company) and I’d like to record at my own studio?

A: Only third party costs are eligible. If your music company and studio are both within the same incorporated company, these costs are ineligible.  If your music company (or the applicant) is incorporated under a different name than your studio, then these costs will be eligible.

Q: What if I am the applicant (an artist or music company) and also the producer of the album?

A: Only third party costs are eligible, so if you are the artist, you are not eligible for a producer fee.

Q: Can I hire musicians from outside of BC to play on my album, or hire a producer from outside BC?

A: This is an eligible expense, as long as the recording happens at an eligible recording studio in British Columbia. Travel, lodging and per diems for out of province producers and musicians are also eligible expenses.

Q: Can I submit multiple applications?

A: Yes. There is no limit to how many applications you can submit.

Q: I applied for the Sound Recording Pilot Program. If I wasn’t funded through the pilot program, do I need to reapply?

A: No, you do not need to reapply. Applications for the pilot program will remain in the queue for the Sound Recording Program, and will be processed in the order that they were received.

Q: If I want to make changes to my application do I need to reapply?

A: No, send any changes you want to make in an email to Gina Loes, Program Analyst.

Q: If I am the artist and the applicant, do I need to submit a contract with myself?

A: No. However, if you have band members that hold creative shares in the music to be recorded who are not co-owners of the company that is applying, you will need to submit an agreement between your company and the rest of the band.

Q: If a music company is applying on behalf of an artist, what kind of contract do you require?

A: If a music company is applying for funding on behalf of the artist, the company will need need to submit a signed recording, licensing or ownership agreement that outlines the terms of the agreement between the company and the artist. The agreement must show that there is a relationship between the applicant company and artist, that the company has the rights to release the sound recording, and that the company is taking on risk in releasing the record.

Q: Do I need to be incorporated?

A: No. The Sound Recording Pilot Program required applicants to be incorporated. The new Sound Recording Program now includes registered businesses, such as sole proprietorships and partnerships. Incorporated companies are still eligible for this program.

Q: How do I register my business?

A: All applicants must register their business before they apply in order to be eligible for the Sound Recording Program. A registered business is a partnership or sole proprietorship. Applicants can learn more about how to register their business at

Q: What do you mean by “Certificate of Incorporation” or “Statement of Registration”?

A: Incorporated Companies will be issued a “Certificate of Incorporation” that states the date of incorporation. If you are a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership, you will be issued a “Statement of Registration” when you register your business. You will need to submit one of these documents as part of your application.

Q: I am a sole proprietor, and am not required to register my business because my business name is my legal name. How can I apply for this grant?

A: If your sole proprietorship is your legal name, and your taxable sales require you to collect and report GST, you can submit your GST number in lieu of your “Statement of Registration”. If you do not earn more than $30,000 and do not want to register for a GST number, you can register your sole proprietorship under a business name (for example: Jane Smith Music). You will be issued a “Statement of Registration” to submit with your grant application.

Q: Do I need a GST number to apply for this grant?

A: No. You don’t need a GST number for this grant but are legally required to apply for a GST number when you meet the $30,000 annual sales threshold for taxable goods and services. Please note that grant funding is to be reported as personal income, not as part of your taxable sales.

Q: What if I am a registered business in Ontario or another Canadian province?

A: Incorporated companies from outside BC are eligible to apply, but registered businesses outside BC are not. You can register a new BC business if you have a physical BC address.

Q: Why does the Sound Recording Program require me to register my business?

A: The BC Music Fund stimulates economic activity for professional artists and businesses in the music sector. Registering as a business requires applicants to adhere to formal business practices such as opening a business bank account and separating taxable business activity from personal finances.

Q: Will Creative BC issue T4s?

A: No. All awards are taxable; however, Creative BC does not issue T4s because grants are issued directly to registered businesses and incorporated companies, not individuals. The applicant is responsible for reporting all awards as taxable income.

Q: When will I get my cheque?

A: Cheques will be issued when the sound recording project is complete, and a detailed cost report is submitted, with copies of invoices and receipts. All cheques will be made out directly to the applicant. Applicants will need to have a bank account in the name of their business in order to deposit grant funds.