Showcase BC FAQs
SHOWCASE BC GRANT PROGRAM FAQ MAY 2020
1. WHO RECEIVES SHOWCASE BC FUNDING?
This program supports BC artists that have previously submitted complete and eligible applications to Amplify BC programs including:
- Creative BC’s Career Development program;
- Music BC’s Travel Grants program; and
- First Peoples’ Cultural Council’s Indigenous Music Initiative.
This includes applications submitted after April 1, 2018. Artists must meet all eligibility criteria for the program they applied to. This program does not support new applicants.
2. CAN I APPLY FOR THE SHOWCASE BC GRANT?
You don’t need to apply for this grant, Eligibility for this program is based on previous application submissions to the Amplify BC programs. This program is not open to new applicants. Eligible artists have been notified directly by Creative BC and will need to complete an acceptance form for the grant by May 15, 2020. A list of artists who received funding offers can be found on the Creative BC website.
3. WHAT IS SHOWCASEBC.CA?
Showcasebc.ca is a new online event listing platform. Anyone presenting creative content online can submit their event to this calendar. The event does not need to be funded by Creative BC. Submitting an event does not create an application for the Showcase BC grant program. This is a one-stop shop for online events happening around the province.
Artists funded through the Showcase BC grant program are required to create an event listing on the platform if they’ve selected online performance as their Showcase BC activity.
4. HOW DO I INCLUDE MY EVENT ON THE SHOWCASE BC CALENDAR?
It is free to submit.
If you need to make changes to your event listing, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. CAN I ACCEPT THIS GRANT AS WELL AS CERB?
For questions about the Canada Emergency Response Benefit, please consult the Government of Canada’s official resources:
Speak to an agent directly:
- Service Canada CERB Agent - 1-833-699-0299
- Canada Revenue Agency line for Individuals – 1-800-959-8281
6. WHAT ARE MY PAYMENT OPTIONS FOR THE SHOWCASE BC GRANT?
Grant payments are issued by e-transfer after accepting your funding offer. Grant payments are issued in the full amount.
There are three payment dates available for recipients:
- 5-10 business days after grant acceptance
- August 6, 2020
- October 1, 2020
7. CAN I RECEIVE PAYMENT THROUGH MY OWN MUSIC COMPANY?
Recipients can choose to be paid as an individual or through their company. In order to process payments to a business, recipients are required to provide their business number.
8. WHO CAN ACCEPT THE GRANT ON BEHALF OF THE ARTIST?
Any member of the band can receive funds on behalf of the group. In acceptance form, artists will provide bandmember and payee information.
If management is accepting funds on behalf of the artist, they must provide a signed agreement between the artist and management outlining their arrangement for the grant. Please ensure the agreement includes artist names, legal names, and the date of signing.
9. WHAT KIND OF EXPENSE REPORTING IS REQUIRED FOR THIS PROGRAM?
No cost report is required for this program. All payments are made up front. A final report is required, to track the impacts of your project.
10. CAN I SPEND OR USE THE MONEY TO MIX OR MASTER MY DEMOS, FOR MARKETING EXPENSES OR TO PURCHASE EQUIPMENT?
Yes. To receive funding, you must commit to completing one of the three eligible activities:
- 30 minutes of online content, including livestreamed performances or other video content
- Songwriting and self-production
- Training, skill sharing, and professional development activities.
Once you’ve received the grant, it is up to you how to use the funds.
11. HOW DO I SUBMIT MY FINAL REPORT?
The Showcase BC final report is not yet live but will be published in the coming weeks on the Showcase BC program page.
12. HOW DO I KNOW IF I’M AN EMERGING OR ESTABLISHED ARTIST?
Definitions of Emerging and Established artists can be found in the Showcase BC and Career Development guidelines. Funding offers were sent to artists based on the category the artist self-selected when applying to Creative BC. In rare circumstances, artists were moved by Creative BC staff to another category. Music BC and FPCC applicants were categorized by staff.
13. WHERE CAN I GET THE LOGO TO ACKNOWLEDGE CREATIVE BC?
14. DOES APPLYING TO THE MUSIC BC BUSINESS TRAVEL GRANT MAKE ME ELIGIBLE?
No. Eligibility for the Showcase BC program is based on application to the Music BC Artist Travel grant, as well as the Amplify BC Career Development Program and First Peoples’ Cultural Council’s Indigenous Music Initiative.
15. WILL THERE BE ANOTHER ROUND OF SHOWCASE BC?
The Showcase BC grant is currently a one-time program, to provide immediate relief to BC artists impacted by the pandemic.
We’re providing immediate relief to musicians through these micro-grants.
This makes sure we get money into the hands of artists who need it right away.
It also makes sure Creative BC can distribute funding quickly to a wide range of musicians and activities can start immediately.
16. I’M PERFORMING A LIVESTREAM THAT’S PRESENTED IN PARTNERSHIP WITH ANOTHER ORGANIZATION. DOES THIS COUNT AS AN ELIGIBLE ACTIVITY?
For the purposes of Showcase BC, the requirement is to create content for this grant specifically; claiming something you’ve already been commissioned to do will not count as an eligible activity.
17. I CAN’T MEET WITH MY BANDMATES TO PERFORM RIGHT NOW. CAN I DO MY PERFORMANCE LATER IN THE YEAR?
Yes. The Showcase BC grant supports projects occurring between April 1, 2020, and December 15, 2020. Final reports are due up until February 1, 2021.
18. WHAT OTHER RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE FOR ARTISTS?
- Creative BC COVID-19 Resource Index
- Showcase BC Livestreaming Resources
- Creative BC Music Industry Resources Webpage