Carbon Literacy Courses
Climate change is thought to be one of the biggest threats of our time. To address impacts of the motion picture industry and help productions reduce their environmental impacts and improve their overall environmental footprint, sustainable production efforts in British Columbia were formalized in 2006 through the Reel Green initiative. Today, Reel Green is a program funded by 13 industry stakeholders that prioritizes sustainable production education, engagement, communications and resources in line with a 5-year strategic plan.
The British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) houses the Albert Project, a consortium of 14 of the UK’s largest production companies and broadcasters working toward the reduction of environmental impacts of the production process and enabling industry organizations to realize the environmental aspects of their stated vision and its implication for audience engagement. In September 2017, Creative BC on behalf of the Reel Green program and BAFTA officially entered into a collaboration to share tools and knowledge to advance motion picture industry globally. The first tool that these organizations are collaborating on is the training course called Carbon Literacy.
Carbon Literacy is a unique, engaging and solutions based training session offering attendees the information and inspiration to live and work in a more sustainable way. Across the 6-hour workshop, delegates can expect to be challenged with engaging presentations, fun (yes, fun!) activities and the space to reflect and plan. Upon successful completion of the day, attendees will:
- have a sound understanding of the science of climate change
- understand how to act to reduce their impact
- recognize the impact that production has on the environment
- have knowledge of the tools and techniques to lessen this impact
Taking the Carbon Literacy course is free and recommended to everyone in the motion picture industry. We will begin teaching courses in British Columbia and will announce dates via industry organizations and the Reel Green platform.
- May 27, 2020- ONLINE; 2 hr course; SOLD OUT
- May 28, 2020- ONLINE; 2 hr course, SOLD OUT
- June 3, 2020 - ONLINE; 2 hr course; Register
- June 11, 2020 - ONLINE; 2 hr course; Register
- June 18, 2020 - ONLINE - 2 hr course; Register
- June 25, 2020 - ONLINE - 2 hr course; Register
Stay tuned for the next round of courses!