Motion Picture - Resources for COVID-19 Updates
Watch our news section for updates
As the provincial film commission, Creative BC is providing updates via the news section on our activities relevant to COVID-19 and our ongoing collaboration with the motion picture industry.
The following are our most recent updates:
- June 24: B.C. Opens Officially for Safe Restart to All Production Activity in B.C.
- June 5: WorkSafeBC publishes Health & Safety Protocols for motion picture industry careful restart
- June 3: Watch the June 3 Industry Panel Session
- May 8: Letter to the Motion Picture Industry from Minister Lisa Beare, Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture
- May 8: Watch the May 8 Industry Panel Session
- May 7: Creative BC to Facilitate Motion Picture Industry as it Defines Restart Plan
- Creative BC has been tasked by the Province to work with industry to submit a highlevel framework for its restart plans, including to support those productions impacted by ongoing federal travel restrictions and 14-day quarantine requirements.
- Learn about the BC Motion Picture Industry COVID-19 Coalition
- Signup to receive the approved industry guidelines as soon as they are published
- April 26: Creative BC Taking Action in Four Key Ways - learn more about our activities including around:
- Local Compliance
- Provincial Leadership
- Industry Planning
- National Collaboration
The following FAQ's are relevant to these programs:
- Passport to Markets / Passport to Markets Envelope
- Book Publishing Market Expansion Fund
- International Initiatives
- Industry Initiatives
- Domestic Motion Picture Development Funds (Reel Focus BC)
- Project Development Fund
- Access 2020
- Rogers + Creative BC Documentary and Factual Fund
I have applied to the Passport to Markets Program to travel to a market or conference, what happens now?
If the event you were planning to attend a market or conference that has been cancelled or postponed due to COVID 19, Creative BC will honour all previously approved commitments at 100% of the amount approved for funding.
I’ve received a Passport to Markets grant to travel to a market to which a Travel Health Notice related to the coronavirus has been issued. I’ve decided not to travel. Can I get reimbursed for some or all of my expenses?
Yes. Funding recipients can claim non-recoverable expenses in their final reports for cancelled activities and travel. Please alert your Business Analyst as soon as you have made the decision to cancel your attendance at an event.
My organization manages a large event/conference/festival for which Creative BC funding is core. What should I do?
At the direction of the Minister of Health and B.C.’s provincial health officer, event organizers are required to cancel any gathering larger than 50 people. This includes indoor and outdoor events, conferences, and meetings. As we move forward, please stay in touch with the Business Analyst at Creative BC you normally deal with. We have every intention of maintaining long-standing commitments and relationships wherever possible.
My event is being cancelled due to COVID-19, can I still receive funding for expenses that have already been incurred?
Yes. Funding recipients can claim non-recoverable expenses in their final reports for cancelled activities and travel. Please alert your Business Analyst as soon as you have made the decision to cancel your event.
Can I postpone my event?
Yes, we are accepting changes to project timelines. If you need to postpone your event please contact your Business Analyst.
My project is going to be impacted by COVID-19. Who should I notify?
If you are anticipating changes to your timeline or approved expenses for your project, please contact the Business Analyst you usually deal with. The ramifications of COVID-19 on supported projects will be tracked and will help inform future decision making.
Can I schedule an in-person meeting to discuss my project with Creative BC?
Our teams are available by phgone or video conference, however in-person meetings are not available at this time.
How will I receive my cheque?
Cheques will be mailed or funds will be electronically transferred until further notice.
When will programs reopen?
Please sign up for our Newsletters for information on programs and intakes. There may be changes to start dates and openings, but broadly speaking, we are hoping to maintain the schedule currently established.
Will the Project Development Fund reopen in April?
We still anticipate that the Fund will open in the new fiscal year. All news and dates will be announced in the Creative BC Newsletter.
I have an application in with Creative BC at the moment for one of their programs. Should I anticipate a delay in hearing a response or processing an application?
We are hoping to maintain the scheduled turnaround time as indicated in the relevant program guidelines. However, some delays may occur.
Please contact our team if you have any questions. Answers to more questions will follow soon.